Monday, November 3, 2008

The Benefits of Being an Endurance Athlete

I had a thought last night as I was at work late finishing up the "bigger" order. One of the benefits of being an endurance athlete that no one talks about is the ability to sit in one position for 11 hours straight doing the exact same task over and over and over. We were finishing up packaging last night and my part-timers dropped like flies as we worked through the process. But me, well, in all honesty, my back and neck didn't hurt much more then they do on a six hour ride in the aero position. And the monotony? Heck, I could at least grab a few Hersey Kisses and munch on those - something that would never be in my Bento box on a long ride and FAR better then any clif/power/combination (though the new jelly bean electrolyte thingy's are pretty darn good!)

I may not be getting a heck of a lot of training in right now (or for that matter, any training in) between the broken leg and these orders. But right now my ability to hold a painful position for several hours while letting my mind wander is finely tuned. And trust me, those skills will come in handy next tri season! Perhaps this current training regimine will even help me land on the podium a time or two next year. :)

And now back to the workspace to get out all of the retailer orders that have to go out today and tomorrow. I'm hoping this is the last long horrible day.

No comments: